Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2014

No Hair --- No Problem!!


No Hair -- No Problem!
It's easy without hair -- shorter showers, no shampoo or conditioning, no blow drying -- really we all should be bald!!
Losing my hair really wasn't a traumatic part of this whole crisis called cancer. To me losing my hair is something that could be fun and different. I'm not going to say I didn't cry when it first started falling out. I was in the shower, all alone just me and God. I cried because the hair falling out was the reality of what this was doing to my body. The reality of my cancer. But the tears only lasted in the shower.

   Matthew 10:29-31 " Not even a sparrow, worth only half a penny can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it. And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are more valuable to Him than a whole flock of sparrows. 
 I knew God was taking care of me. He knew how much or how little hair I had on my head.  I know my family is watching how I react, if I'm okay, it's okay.I felt it was time for a little joy in our storm.  After all how many times do you get to have no regard when it comes to your hair. I mean it was all coming out one way or another. 
  First, I let my daughter practice cutting hair. It turned out pretty cute, a little bob.   Of course, nothing like the original picture we were going for, but cute none the less. 
  We made a video with my teens. It's fun to watch peoples reactions, you don't realize quite how serious this hair falling out is until you see it. Here you can watch it. Then share it so you can see the reactions too!

As more and more fell out I'd leave it places for people I love -- I left my dad a full carpet full all over his dashboard! I saved my morning weave (it would all collect in the night and just come right off my head in the morning) for my husband. He has a bald spot he could use it for.  


   Then when we knew it was really time to shave it, I let my son give me a mullet. YUCK!! Me and a mullet do not look good together. Of course does anyone really look good in a mullet? 

 
Then it came time for the shaving. All the kids wanted to cut a piece, then they put them in a Ziploc and labeled them, just like I did for their first hair cuts. 


My husband then finished it off with a shave. It was a fun night of great memory making for us. We had a great night amidst our storm. Times can be tough, but we need see the joy even when in those times. I wish I would have done that so much more over the years. Don't have a pity party, rejoice God is doing something big!! It's not always fun, but you can find ways to make it joyful!
Love you all, 
       Robin (mama of the Mitchell Homestead)

1 comment:

Thanks for your comment!