Pages

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

     April Fool's Day, a fun day. I always enjoyed playing pranks. My best was wearing my "Yes, I'm pregnant"  shirt to church. Having as many kids as I had people just didn't doubt it. I also posted it on facebook then just didn't respond with April Fools so people kept asking for days. It was great, until a couple weeks later when I found out myself it was true. I guess the joke was on me. 
     Well this year -- the usual, got one of my kids with it in physics class -- of course, he didn't know it was April Fools day so it was easy. Later in that day I had my doctors visit. I'd been seeing doctors a few times. I had a lump, figured it was something still there from nursing. Doctor said she thought that was probably it too. So no worries. It was just for a consult to see the surgeon. He looked things over. Then was washing his hands. I had to open my big mouth and ask him what he thought. I won't forget it -- EVER -- 
     He turned around and faced me and said " Do you really want to know?"
      I replied "Yes"
     "I think you have breast cancer and I think it's spread to the lymph nodes."
     I just sat for a minute. "Is this for real" I thought. "Is he going to say April Fools?" I waited -- it never came. I made my appointment for my biopsy the next day, and of course, left in tears. 
I called my husband when I got to the car. I could tell he was as shocked as me. Was it even possible? I nursed 8 kids. 
     I remember quickly going through emotions: crying, denial, anger. I mean after all who was this guy. Is he a real doctor? He doesn't even know me?I even called my Doctor to find out his credentials. Was she sure she he was a good doctor. 
     I then called my family and told them. My sister April said she kept waiting for me to say April Fools -- and I never did.
     I didn't want to end this post here, but I also didn't want it to be to long. Looking back and seeing how the events happened I know God had me in his hands the whole time. He held me. In the next few posts I'll share I how I went from here to "the peace that passeth all understanding" 
     
     Love you all, 
            Robin (the mama of the Mitchell Homestead)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!